Monday, March 19, 2012

Thought Process


 *Author Note- This my analysis of Mother to Son by Langston Hughes. The words that are italicized are what I'm thinking about what each phrase means to me and what the mother is trying to teach her son.*  

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.- Life isn’t something you clear that you can see through.
It's had tacks in it,- Challenges that you must over come.
And splinters,- Something that will take a while to get over.
And boards torn up,- Watching what you do and say to protect yourself and others you love.
And places with no carpet on the floor – Poverty with no warmth or love.
Bare.- Cold and lonely.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,- She hasn’t let any of the bumps of life hold her back.
And reachin' landin's,- When she reached good points in her life you kept reaching forwards
And turnin' corners,- When something tired to stop her she kept walking
And sometimes goin' in the dark- Going into something not knowing what will happen.
Where there ain't been no light.- Going places that hasn’t been good for anyone.
So boy, don't you turn back.- Don’t stop walking you need to keep going through your life even though there is bumps.
Don't you set down on the steps- Never go back down.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now –Don’t let the challenges push you down into a point where you can’ get back up.
For I'se still goin', honey,- She is still going, why can’t you?
I'se still climbin',- She is still wondering through life not knowing
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.- her life wasn’t easy of handed to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment